Sonntag, 16. August 2015

DON MARSHALL'S ACCOUNT (5): THE HOLE

"I started back with the ammo and caught up with a group of men heading in the same direction."
He spotted a hole, but he hesitated to jump in:
"Another Marine jumped into it. I don't know whether the hole was mined or hit by mortar, but the explosion threw the Marine's helmeted head, right arm, neck and a portion of his chest into the air. His severed upper torso landed with open, dead eyes staring at me. The rest of him disppeared in a red, hazy mist. I learned long ago never to fall for an inviting hole. I almost made that mistake. From then on, I only dove into newly-exploded ones. Shells never land twice in the same hole, a still-smoking hole was free of booby traps."
(=versteckte Sprengladungen)
Delivering the ammo, the captain asked him to get some more, "also some water", so he returned.-Amphibs trying to move up with supplies-deafening barrage (Sperrfeuer)-Don "diving from hole to hole".
---
AFTER THE BATTLE 82

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen